YWCA Miami

History - YWCA Miami

 

YWCA of Greater Miami-Dade began with a small group of women and $2,000.

In 1919 the late Mrs. James Jackson of Jackson Memorial Hospital led this energetic group of influential women. We’ve been leading our community by example since 1919. Today YWCA holds a strong reputation as an action oriented and community driven organization.

 Through the years the YWCA Miami programming has evolved with the changing needs of low-income communities in Miami Dade County.
YWCA Miami advocated for early childhood education before it was readily accepted, and established one of the first early childhood centers in Miami Dade in the 1970’s. YWCA Miami now operates 5 Early learning centers. Our Early Head Start program mentors new programs to provide guidance on quality in education to the larger Miami Dade community.
When hurricane Andrew hit in the early 1990’s YWCA Miami responded by providing childcare for police officers and community leaders who had to respond to the devastation of the storm. Shortly after, the CEO decided to establish the first community center to be located in Overtown. YWCA Miami was the first in the state to establish an agreement with a public school system to offer afterschool care.
YWCA led collaboration with the Intel Foundation and the Boston Museum of Science to bring an Intel Computer Clubhouse to the Overtown neighborhood in 2000. This program provides a creative environment that brings technology into young people daily lives, helps to bridge the digital divide that exists in underserved neighborhoods, and assists youth in planning for their future.

In 2008, we broke ground on the Windows Center, a mulit-generational site, with a focus on Wellness and innovative technology training for the entire community.

In 2015 we reinvigorated our Computer Clubhouse program to incorporate career readiness, and financial literacy components. We are on a mission to inspire the next generation of pioneering women.